Sunday, May 8, 2011

The Beastie Boys' Rare 1985 single "Rock Hard"



In the beginning, the Beastie Boys didn't rap, instead they played in a punk band with Kate Schellenbach, who would go on to be the drummer in the band Luscious Jackson. Here is an interesting three song set they played for the Scott & Gary Show on a public access cable in New York.



The Beastie Boys changed direction, much to the chagrin of these two guys below, and in 1985 with producer Rick Rubin, they put out a 45 locally for the song "Rock Hard." The Beasties rapped over a sample of AC/DC's "Back in Black" riff, leading to this single becoming very rare. This is quite the awesome video by Anna Hrnjak, it needs to be said.



Here's an mp3 of the full song:

The Beastie Boys - Rock Hard (1985 single)

The band tried their best to include this song on their 1999 compilation "The Sound of Science" but AC/DC wouldn't allow it. This is summed up in an article from the 11/11/99 issue of New Musical Express:

“We originally had ‘Rock Hard’ on there because it was never widely available,” Mike D told NME. “So we had to go back to AC/DC for sample clearance. Their lawyer said no, so I decided to call them myself.“

“So I tracked AC/DC down in the studio in Vancouver and talked to Malcolm (Young, brother of Angus). And they were just not having it. He goes, ‘I’d love to do it for you guys, but it’s ‘Back In Black’ - one of the top three songs we’ve ever written!’ Whatever. AC/DC could not get with the sample concept. They were just like, ‘Nothing against you guys, but we just don’t endorse sampling.’”

Adrock: “So we told them that we don’t endorse people playing guitars.”

‘Rock Hard’ has been replaced by ‘She’s On It’ which the Beasties describe as “not one of our top three songs.”


The Beastie Boys returned this week after a hiatus while Adam Yauch underwent successful cancer treatment with the tremendous album "Hot Sauce Committee Part Two." Even better is the 30 minute video for "Fight For Your Right Revisited" which was written, produced, and directed by Yauch and features a ton of great actors. It's a lot of fun to watch this and the original video from 25 years ago back to back, since the one leads right into the other.







Buy "Hot Sauce Commitee Part Two" by the Beastie Boys at amazon.com.

7 comments:

  1. I love what you guys tend to be up too. Such clever work and reporting!
    Keep up the very good works guys I've added you guys to blogroll.

    Also visit my page Geneawiki.familiekunde-brussel.Be

    ReplyDelete
  2. After I originally left a comment I appear to have
    clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now every time a comment is added I get 4
    emails with the same comment. There has to be an easy method you
    are able to remove me from that service? Thanks!

    Look at my web blog - stuhrling original watches for women

    ReplyDelete
  3. If some one desires expert view about blogging then i recommend him/her to pay a visit
    this weblog, Keep up the good job.

    My web page :: mapfactor.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the good writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it.
    Look advanced to more added agreeable from you!
    However, how could we communicate?

    Here is my web site :: breast actives

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not know if it's just me or if everyone else encountering problems with your website. It looks like some of the text on your content are running off the screen. Can somebody else please provide feedback and let me know if this is happening to them too? This might be a issue with my browser because I've had this happen
    before. Thanks

    Feel free to visit my page :: provillus (provillus.pen.io)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I constantly spent my half an hour to read this blog's content all the time along with a cup of coffee.

    Here is my blog post buy idol lip

    ReplyDelete
  7. Generally I do not learn post on blogs, however I wish to say that this write-up very compelled me to try and do so!
    Your writing style has been amazed me. Thanks,
    very great post.

    My blog: virility ex

    ReplyDelete